What If … ?
You, you may say, I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”
Years ago there were a series of Hewlett Packard commercials whose tag line were “What If …”
Since then a number of folks have done similar “What if” campaigns, Nike and Michael Jordan, the NHL, even the Cleveland Indians (now that’s a real what if!)
The idea is to get people to imagine something beyond what is in front of them. To imagine something more than what they are currently experiencing or to ignite their hope for the possibility of something better. Especially if things are not going too well at the present time ( i.e. the Cleveland Indians haven’t won a world series since 1954).
As I thought about how powerful the “what if” question is, I realized that for many people the “what if” question actually has the opposite effect. In fact for some folks the “what if” question can actually suck the power right out of their idea or worse yet … themselves!
How many times have you had a truly great idea until you started asking yourself the “what if” question. What if things go wrong, what if I fail, what if I lose, what if I make a mistake, etc.
So that got me to thinking … IMAGINE if for the next 10 days you looked at every decision or situation from a more positive perspective?
I am not saying you should ignore glaring negatives and forge ahead blindly. However, I am challenging you to look at the possibility of what is good, possible, and true.
Below is a list of 10 Positive “What If” questions to ask yourself the next time you have an idea, are stuck trying to make a decision, or just not sure what to do:
- What if I succeed beyond my wildest dreams?
- What if this is the perfect decision?
- What if I already have the perfect partner for me?
- What if I wasn’t afraid?
- What if I believed I was enough … more than enough … in fact way more than enough!
- What if I loved my spouse, my kids, my brother, neighbor, sister, as much as I love myself? (yes the golden rule)
- What if I knew I was brilliant, smart, and amazing?
- What if I knew I couldn’t fail?
- What if I trusted myself?
- What would I do if I wasn’t afraid? (Yeah, I know but it’s worth repeating!)
So there you have it!
Use this list for the next 10 days every time you have a decision to make or dilemma on your hands and just watch what happens to your life.
You just might find … “It’s easy if you try …. and It isn’t hard to do!”