Part II – 10 Things You Need To Hold Onto … Forever!
In life there are things we need to let go of … and things we need to hold onto.
The key to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life is knowing the difference and which one to do and when … hold or let go.
Below is a short list of things that need to hold onto. Why? Because when you lose these 10 things … life can be pretty empty.
10 Things You Need To Hold Onto:
- Your Sense of Humor – once you lose the ability to laugh at a situation or more importantly yourself … it’s over.
- Internal Self-Worth – Meaning the sense of self-worth that comes from within you. Attempting to get your sense of self-worth externally is at best fleeting … and at worst an emotional death spiral.
- Purpose – Having a definitive “Why” will bring clarity and focus to the “How” and the “What” in any situation, relationship, job, decision, etc.. Always start there!
- Acceptance – Accepting every situation as it is, accepting every person as they are without trying to change them or the circumstances. If you want to change something or someone … change your perspective or yourself first … and then watch what happens.
- Trust – Not everyone in this world is untrustworthy, conniving, or evil. Yes there are people who do untrustworthy things and sometimes they hurt you … but that doesn’t mean everyone is going to be that way from that point forward. When you lose trust in humanity you live from a place of fear and that will eat you alive (from the inside out) in the end. Stop watching the news!
- Hope – Sometimes life happens. Sometimes we forget that life is complicated, messy, and sometimes painful. Never lose hope … whatever it is … this too shall pass … it always does.
- Love – When you have love … real, genuine, faithful, kind, honest, love … never let it go! Please be careful here because sometimes our definition of love is a distorted version based on our life experiences or childhood. I’m not talking about possessiveness, jealousy, control, or cathexis (obsession). The difference? Genuine love feels good most of the time and hurts once-in-a-while. Cathexis can feel good once-in-a-while and hurts most of the time.
- Gratitude – Remind yourself of what you have in your life that you are grateful for … Take time to be quiet each day, week, month, and year so that you can reflect on all that is good in your life and your world. Otherwise you can fall into the trap of all the things that life isn’t instead of what it is!
- Your Health – Should be self-explanatory and if it was more than 1 out’ve every 3 people would not be obese. And it isn’t just physical health, it’s your mental, emotional, and spiritual (whatever that is for you) health. Once you let it go … it becomes increasingly harder and harder to maintain it or get back to center.
- Faith – Yes this is personal and yet my belief is that it’s important to believe in some power, energy, love, force, some-thing bigger than ourselves. And yes if you don’t believe that … that’s okay … I’m not trying to convert anyone to anything … you might just want to review 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
So there you have it …my list of Hold Onto’s … Forever.
- How tightly do you hold onto the 10 items on this list?
- Did you have them at one time and let them go by mistake?
- Is it time to rediscover, reexamine, reevaluate or give any of them another try?
It always comes down to a choice … which will you choose?