Never Let Go – 10 Things To Hold Onto Forever!
In life there are things we need to let go of and things we need to hold onto forever.
The key to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life, is knowing the difference.
Below is a short list of things I compiled that I believe we need to hold onto forever. Why? Because when you lose any of these, life can feel pretty empty.
Hold Onto Your:
- Purpose – Having a definitive “Why” will bring clarity and focus to the “How” and the “What” in any situation, relationship, job, decision, etc.. Always start here!
- Sense of Humor – once you lose the ability to laugh at a situation or more importantly yourself…it’s over!
- Internal Self-Worth – Meaning the sense of self-worth that comes from within you. Attempting to get your sense of self-worth externally is at best fleeting and at worst an emotional death spiral.
- Acceptance – Accepting every situation as it is, accepting every person as they are, without trying to change them or the circumstances. If you want to change something or someone, change yourself first, then watch what happens.
- Trust – Not everyone in this world is untrustworthy, conniving, or evil. Yes, there are people who do untrustworthy things and sometimes they hurt you. However, that doesn’t mean everyone is going to be that way from that point forward. When you lose trust in humanity, you live from a place of fear, and fear will eat you alive (from the inside out) in the end.
- Hope – Sometimes life happens. Sometimes we forget that life is complicated, messy, and sometimes painful. Never lose hope! Whatever it is, it too shall pass, it always does.
- Love – When you have love, real, genuine, kind, honest love…NEVER LET IT GO! Please be careful here, because sometimes our definition of love is distorted based on our life experiences or childhood. I’m not talking about possessiveness, jealousy, control, or cathexis (obsession). The difference? Genuine love feels good most of the time and hurts once-in-a-while. Cathexis (possession) can feel good once-in-a-while and hurts most of the time.
- Gratitude – Remind yourself of what you have in your life that you are grateful for. Take time to be quiet each day, week, month, so that you can reflect on all that is good in your life and your world. Otherwise, you can fall into the trap of focusing on all the things that life isn’t, instead of what it is!
- Health – This one should be self-explanatory! It isn’t, if it was 1 out’ve every 3 people would not be obese. And it isn’t just physical health, it’s your mental, emotional, and spiritual (whatever that is for you) health. Once you let it go, it becomes increasingly harder and harder to maintain it or get back to center.
- Faith – Yes, this is personal and yet my belief is that it’s important to believe in some power, energy, love, force, some-thing bigger than ourselves. If you don’t believe that, it’s okay. I’m not trying to convert anyone to anything, you might just want to review 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
So there you have it, my list of those important things that we need to hold onto forever. But before I go, let me ask you a few questions.
3 Questions to Ask Yourself:
- How tightly do you hold onto the 10 items on this list?
- Did you have them at one time? Did you let them go by mistake?
- Is it time to rediscover, reexamine, reevaluate? Is it time to give someone or something another try?
It always comes down to a choice…which will you choose?