After booking my reservation and for being a loyal Hilton Honors member, I was informed that I was entitled to a “special” promotion.
A “special” promotion for “special” people … just like me!
I get transferred to the department for “special” people where I am asked 3 quick marketing questions:
- Where did I book my hotel reservation?
- Am I single or married?
- What is my income? – “I will not answer that question” – thinking that’s really none of their business!
Without a nanosecond of hesitation the sales person for “special” people goes right into his script …
“Sir thank you very much and have a nice day,” and hung up!
“Wait a minute, wait a minute … you can’t hang up on me … I’M SPECIAL … you told me so your self … don’t you remember???”
So that got me thinking:
- If you tell your customers they are special, treat them that way … otherwise they won’t be your customer for long!
- If a complete stranger tells you you’re special – RUN – they are peddling something and you’re just a number (this is not an epiphany – just a reminder)!
- It used to be that if you upset a customer they would tell 5 people. Nowadays when you treat your customer poorly they tell 3000.
And isn’t that special …