Goals – Hold’ em or Fold ’em!
“You got to know when to hold ’em, Know when to fold ’em,
Know when to walk away, And know when to run.”
The above quote is actually off the soundtrack from the movie, The Gambler, starring the late Kenny Rogers. Which makes a whole lot of sense if you’re a gambler and you play cards for a living.
What about when it comes to achieving your goals? After all, we are now well into the third month of the year. Many New Years Resolutions that were so urgent 3 months ago have come and gone for many.
What about you? Are you on track? Are you succeeding? Are you accomplishing your goals?
If not, let me take a different approach…
Is it time to drop one of these goals you set your mind to a few months ago when the year was brand spanking new?
You Mean Quit?
I know what you’re thinking, if I drop one of my goals, that means I’m giving up, quitting, folding like a cheap suit, laying down, and rolling over!
No, I’m not saying to give up. I’m asking you to look at your 2021 goals and ask yourself:
- Are all of these goals still meaningful?
- Must I must accomplish all of these goals in order to feel good about my year?
- Can I walk away from any of them and still feel good about myself?
- Will I feel even better about my year or myself if I let one go?
- Do I need to let any of these go, or do I need to recommit to achieving it?
You see, sometimes in our enthusiasm to make sure we have our best year ever, we can get a little over zealous with our goals. We make a list of 37 goals in our business life and 27 more to accomplish in our personal life and we never complete the list.
Yes, of course we all want to be successful! But, wouldn’t it be better to focus on the 2 or 3 really important goals, instead of getting frustrated because we didn’t accomplish the list of the 64 less important ones?
Sometimes less is more…
Maybe this blog is about you removing, recalibrating, and/or recommitting to what you really need to accomplish, what really matters?
Maybe it’s time to reexamine where you are investing your resources so that it ignites the fire in you instead of dousing the flames?
Still not sure about what to do with your goals?
5 Clues That It Might Be Time To Walk Away From Your Goals:
- It has been on your list since January 1st and you just noticed it today for the first time.
- You wrote it down, didn’t share it with anybody, and every time you think about it, you wanna throw up.
- It’s the same goal that’s been on your list from last year…and the year before and the…
- You see the goal on your list and ask yourself, “Who the hell put THAT ONE there?
- You come to the conclusion that A.) You don’t care if you achieve that goal B.) You’re not going to achieve it anyway, so what’s the use. C.) You were only doing it to because someone else asked you to (in other words it isn’t your goal!)
If you’ve answered yes to 2 or more of the above, maybe, you need to let it go.
As the song goes, “Now every gambler knows, the secret of survivin,’ is knowin’ what to throw away, and knowin’ what to keep”
When it comes to achieving your goals, why would you gamble away your precious time and resources on a goal that really doesn’t help you win?
Still need some help? Click here